LinkedIn InMails has revolutionized the way professionals connect and communicate, exclusive to LinkedIn Premium members it offers a direct line to almost anyone on LinkedIn. In this comprehensive guide, “What is LinkedIn InMail and How to Use it for Job Search” we’ll delve into what InMails are how to use them effectively for job search and why mastering this feature is essential for anyone looking to leverage LinkedIn’s full potential.
What is LinkedIn InMail Message and How Does it Work?
LinkedIn InMail is a premium feature that allows you to directly message another LinkedIn member with whom you are not currently connected. Usually, on LinkedIn, you can only send messages to people you’re already connected with, or you can ask someone to connect with you. However, InMail, which is accessible through LinkedIn Premium breaks this barrier by allowing direct communication with anyone on the platform. Here’s a breakdown of how it works:
How LinkedIn InMail Works:
Send Messages to Anyone:
You can use InMail to reach out to a professional you want to network with, a potential employer, or a candidate, or even use LinkedIn InMails for lead generation.
Limited Number of InMails:
Your account gets a certain number of InMail credits each month. The number depends on the type of subscription you have.
Linkedin InMail Credits:
- Premium accounts receive a certain number of InMail credits every month, which varies based on the subscription type.
- Each InMail you send uses one credit. Unused credits can roll over to the next month, but only for a period of 90 days.
- If your InMail is responded to directly within 90 days, you typically get the credit back, encouraging meaningful, well-crafted messages.
- Additional credits can be purchased, and the number of credits needed to send an InMail may vary depending on the recipient’s account settings.
Why Use LinkedIn InMail:
- Reach Out to Non-Connections: It’s a powerful tool for contacting people you don’t know but want to connect with for business, networking, or job opportunities.
- Professional Communication: Since it’s a LinkedIn premium feature, it’s viewed as more professional compared to other forms of cold messaging.
LinkedIn InMail is a valuable tool for reaching out to people outside your immediate network on LinkedIn, especially for professional opportunities and networking. It’s available with premium accounts and uses a credit system that encourages thoughtful and targeted messaging.
What Are The Different Types Of LinkedIn Premium Packages?
LinkedIn offers various premium packages that include InMail credits, allowing you to send a specific number of messages on LinkedIn. In addition, LinkedIn provides a free 30-day trial period, giving you the opportunity to test its advanced features before committing to any payment.
Understanding the Free Trial Period To Use LinkedIn InMails:
LinkedIn helps you decide whether you need advanced features by providing a free trial period for its premium packages, which includes access to InMail message credits. Here’s how it works and the number of InMails you can send during the trial:
How to Start the Free Trial:
- Go to the Premium page on your LinkedIn account.
- Choose the subscription package that fits your needs (Career, Business, Sales Navigator, or Recruiter Lite).
- Click on the ‘Start My Free Month’ option to begin your trial.
Number of InMails During Free Trial:
- Premium Career: 5 InMails per month.
- Premium Business: 15 InMails per month.
- Sales Navigator: 20 InMails per month.
- Recruiter Lite: 30 InMails per month.
How It Works:
- During the trial, you have full access to the features of the chosen package.
- You can use InMail credits to message LinkedIn members you’re not connected with.
- The free trial lasts for one month. LinkedIn will notify you 7 days before your subscription ends.
- If you don’t cancel the trial before it ends, you will automatically be charged for a subscription.
Breaking Down Each Package and the Corresponding InMail Allotment
LinkedIn Premium Career:
- For: Job seekers.
- InMails: You get 5 InMail messages each month.
- Other Features: See who’s viewed your profile, interview tools, and access to learning courses.
LinkedIn Premium Business:
- For: Business professionals and entrepreneurs.
- InMails: You get 15 InMail messages per month.
- Other Features: Business insights, extended network access, and advanced search.
- For: Sales professionals.
- InMails: You get 20 InMail messages monthly.
- Other Features: Advanced sales tools, lead recommendations, and CRM integration.
LinkedIn Recruiter Lite account:
- For: Recruiters and hiring managers.
- InMails: You get 30 InMail messages each month.
- Other Features: Recruitment tools and candidate tracking.
How to Write Effective LinkedIn InMail Messages: Strategies and Tips for Success
Writing a good LinkedIn InMail is important for people who want to make connections, find new employees, or explore business chances. Learning how to use this feature well can improve how you utilize LinkedIn. The body of every InMail message should be concise yet informative, ideally under 2000 characters. It should clearly state the purpose of your message, whether it’s a job inquiry, sales pitch, or networking request, and include a call to action.
An InMail message can have up to 2000 characters in the body and 200 characters in the subject line, providing ample space to craft a thoughtful message.
Crafting Effective InMail Messages
Tailor each message to the recipient. Reference something specific in their profile to show genuine interest and avoid generic templates.
Clear and Compelling Subject Line:
Subject lines are critical in InMail. They should be engaging, relevant, and clear, providing the recipient with a compelling reason to open the message. Keep it within 200 characters and make it relevant to the recipient.
Clearly state the purpose of your message early in the text. Whether it’s a job opportunity, a business proposal, or a networking request, make your intentions clear.
Maintain a professional and respectful tone. Remember, an InMail message often serves as a first impression.
Call to Action:
Include a clear call to action. What do you want the recipient to do after reading your message? Whether scheduling a call or simply replying, guide them to the next step.
Check for Errors:
Proofread your message for spelling and grammatical errors. A well-written message reflects your professionalism.
Strategy, Tips and Best Practices
Consider the timing of your message. Sending messages during business hours may increase the chances of a prompt response.
Response Rate Monitoring:
Keep track of your response rates. It may be time to adjust your messaging strategy if you’re not getting responses.
Leveraging LinkedIn Insights:
By tapping into the wealth of information available through LinkedIn’s insights, you can tailor your InMail messages to resonate more effectively with your target audience. Uncover key details about your recipients, such as their professional background, interests, and connections, to create personalized and impactful messages.
Use InMail ethically. Avoid spamming users and respect their choice if they’ve chosen not to receive InMail messages.
If you don’t receive a response, a polite follow-up after a week or two can be effective. However, respect the recipient’s time and decision if they’re not interested.
InMail is a powerful tool for direct communication on the platform. By crafting personalized, clear, and professional messages, and using this feature strategically, you can significantly enhance your networking and outreach efforts on LinkedIn.
Crafting an Effective LinkedIn InMail: A Template for Successful Communication
InMail Example for an Experienced Teacher Exploring New Opportunities with 5 Years of Expertise
Subject: Exploring New Teaching Opportunities with [School/Institution Name]
Dear [Hiring Manager/Recruiter’s Name],
I hope this message finds you well. My name is [Your Name], and I am an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher with a rich experience of 5 years in [Your Teaching Field]. I recently came across the job opening for a [Specific Position] at [School/Institution Name], and I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to your team.
Your school’s commitment to [mention something specific about the school, like their innovative teaching methods, excellent academic record, or any special programs they offer] truly resonates with my professional values and teaching philosophy. In my current role at [Your Current or Previous School], I have successfully [mention a key achievement or initiative, such as increasing student engagement, introducing a new curriculum, or leading a successful project], which I believe aligns well with the goals of your school.
Moreover, my experience in [mention any special skills or experiences you have, like expertise in a particular teaching method, use of technology in education, or experience with special needs students] has equipped me to make a significant impact right away. I am particularly impressed by [mention another specific aspect of the school or role that attracted you], and I am keen to bring my skills and passion to your esteemed institution.
I would love the opportunity to discuss how my background, skills, and enthusiasm for teaching could contribute to the continued success of [School/Institution Name]. Could we schedule a time to talk more about this opportunity? I am available for a call or meeting at your earliest convenience and look forward to the possibility of joining your team.
Thank you very much for considering my application. I am excited about the prospect of contributing to your school and eagerly await your response.
[Your LinkedIn Profile Link]
[Your Contact Information]
Remember, personalization is key, so tailor the message to reflect specifics about the school and the role you are applying for.
InMail Sample for a Recent Graduate Exploring New Opportunities
Subject: Recent Graduate Eager to Contribute to [Company Name] in [Specific Role]
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
I hope this message finds you well. My name is [Your Name], and I am a recent graduate from [Your University] with a degree in [Your Field of Study]. I am writing to express my keen interest in the [Specific Role] position at [Company Name], as listed on your careers page.
During my academic journey, I have honed skills that I believe are well-suited to the challenges and opportunities at [Company Name]. In particular, my experience in [Relevant Coursework/Project], where I [describe a relevant project or achievement], has equipped me with valuable insights and abilities that align with the requirements of the [Specific Role].
I am particularly drawn to [Company Name] because of [mention something specific about the company or role that appeals to you, like their culture, values, projects, or market position]. I am excited about the prospect of bringing my fresh perspective, enthusiasm, and dedication to your team.
Understanding that a transition from academic to professional life is a significant step, I am eager to learn and grow within the role. I am confident that my proactive approach and willingness to embrace new challenges will allow me to contribute meaningfully to your team.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss how my background and aspirations align with the needs of [Company Name]. I am available for an interview at your earliest convenience and can be reached at [Your Email Address] or [Your Phone Number].
Thank you for considering my application. I am looking forward to the possibility of contributing to your esteemed company and am eager to discuss further how I can be a valuable addition to your team.
[LinkedIn Profile URL – optional]
InMail Template Seeking Expert Guidance on Advancing a Mid-Level Career Journey
Subject: Exploring New Horizons: Request for Your Expert Career Insights
Dear [Mentor’s or Professional’s Name],
I hope this message finds you in good spirits. My name is [Your Name], and I am currently positioned as a [Your Current Job Title] at [Your Current Company]. I’ve been following your career with great interest, particularly your achievements in [specific aspect related to the mentor’s expertise or industry], and I am reaching out to seek your advice as I navigate through a crucial phase of my career.
With over [number of years] years of experience in [Your Field/Industry], I have reached a point where I am contemplating the next big step in my professional journey. Your expertise and insights, especially considering your notable accomplishments in [Mentor’s Field/Specialization], would be immensely valuable to me as I explore potential growth opportunities and career paths.
I am particularly interested in [specific area or role you are interested in], and I believe your guidance could be pivotal in helping me understand the nuances and requirements of excelling in this area. It would be incredibly helpful to learn about your personal experiences, any challenges you faced, and how you overcame them.
If you have the time, I would be immensely grateful for the opportunity to have a brief conversation with you, over a phone call, or a quick virtual meeting at your convenience. I am eager to learn from your journey and gain insights that can help shape my career path effectively.
Thank you very much for considering my request. Your advice could be a guiding light for me at this stage of my career. I look forward to the possibility of connecting with you and am happy to work around your schedule.
[Your Contact Information]
[LinkedIn Profile URL – optional]
These messages are concise yet detailed, making clear the purpose of the connection and what you’re offering. Personalizing the message to the recipient’s experience can increase the likelihood of a positive response.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for LinkedIn Messages and LinkedIn InMails
What Happens If Someone Doesn’t Respond to Your InMail?
InMail messaging enables you to send direct messages to a LinkedIn member you haven’t connected with before. However, if there’s no response within 90 days, the InMail credit used for the message won’t be refunded. Crafting engaging InMail messages to LinkedIn members is crucial, as it increases the likelihood of capturing attention and receiving a prompt reply.
To increase response rates, craft concise and impactful InMails that are short, to the point, and personalized to the individual’s interests. Ensure your messages are interesting or useful to the recipient. Implement a clear call to action, prompting them to engage or respond. Avoid using generic messages; instead, tailor each InMail to the specific person you’re reaching out to. Furthermore, consider a strategic follow-up InMail as part of your approach.
Is LinkedIn InMail worth it?
LinkedIn InMail can be a valuable tool, especially for job seekers, recruiters and business professionals. It allows direct messaging to any LinkedIn member, enhancing networking and outreach opportunities. However, its worth depends on individual goals and how effectively one crafts and targets messages. With limited monthly credits under premium plans, strategic use of InMail is essential for maximizing its potential benefits and ensuring a return on investment in the platform’s premium features.
How do I use LinkedIn InMail effectively?
To utilize the LinkedIn InMail effectively:
- Identify the right recipients based on their interests and roles.
- Personalize each InMail, showing genuine interest in the recipient’s background.
- Be concise and clear, respecting the recipient’s time.
- Create an engaging subject line to grab attention
- Maintain a professional tone throughout.
- Clearly articulate the value you offer.
- Include a specific call to action.
- Follow up politely if needed.
- Analyze your InMail responses to refine your approach.
- Stay updated with LinkedIn’s evolving features and best practices.
Is LinkedIn InMail the same as Messaging?
No, LinkedIn InMail is not the same as regular messaging. Here are the key differences:
- Access to Recipients: Standard communication on LinkedIn is limited to your connections. In contrast, InMail enables you to reach out to LinkedIn users who are not in your network.
- Premium Feature: InMail is an exclusive benefit for Premium subscribers. In contrast, basic communication functions are available to all LinkedIn users.
- InMail Credits: InMail operates on a credit system – your subscription type determines how many InMails you can send. There are no such limits for standard communication.
- Response Incentives: If a recipient replies to your InMail within 90 days, you may get your credit back. This incentive is not available with standard communication.
- Visibility and Open Rates: InMails typically achieve higher visibility and are more likely to be opened as they are rarer and can bypass the need for a direct connection.
In summary, InMail and regular LinkedIn communication serve similar purposes, but InMail offers enhanced capabilities, particularly for connecting with individuals beyond your immediate circle.
Conclusion on LinkedIn Inmails and How to Send an InMail Message
Discovering the potential of LinkedIn InMail can transform your job search and professional networking efforts. This invaluable tool opens doors to new opportunities, whether you’re seeking job prospects, expanding your network, or generating leads. To maximize your experience, follow these key tips:
- Personalize Your Messages: Tailor your InMails to make meaningful connections.
- Be Clear and Concise: Communicate your intentions clearly and succinctly.
- Utilize InMail Credits Wisely: Make strategic use of your InMail credits to connect with the right people.
- Track Your Response Rates: Analyze your efforts and refine your strategy based on response data.
- Explore Sponsored InMails: Broaden your outreach with sponsored InMails for increased visibility.
Enhance your LinkedIn journey by delving into the insights shared in our articles on optimizing your LinkedIn profile and leveraging LinkedIn for job search in Dubai. These resources provide additional guidance to elevate your professional presence and open doors to exciting opportunities.